Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Model Milk






Model Milk
308, 17 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB 
(403) 265-7343
Reservations can be made on OpenTable

www.modelmilk.ca

So I went on a first date this past Sunday.  First dates are a funny thing because you never quite know what you're walking into.  If you discover that the chemistry isn't there, that you're not quite clicking, or that they're an awful human being, then there's nothing worse than being stuck sitting across from them as each course comes out, being forced to converse painfully for several hours.  Fortunately for me (phew!) it didn't turn out this way. It was clear that there was chemistry between us early on, and our conversation flowed easily.

My date had picked Model Milk for us, as it was one of his favourite restaurants, and on Sundays they offer "Sunday Supper", which they describe as a feast of wholesome goodness, served family style.  The cost is only $40 per person and an array of beautiful dishes are placed on your table to share.  That night we were able to enjoy pork belly placed on top of a creamy cheese and pesto sauce, steelhead salmon accompanied with steamed kale, green beans tossed in chilies, breaded and fried cauliflower and a homemade nanaimo bar for dessert. For a wine, we decided on the 2014 Wagner Stempel "Gutswein" Riesling at the price of $65 a bottle, which paired perfectly with our supper.

Every bite of food was absolutely delicious and everything tasted wholesome, as they had described on their website.  The size of the dishes weren't overly big, but after enjoying a taste of all of them, we were both full and completely satisfied. 

I was also impressed with the decor,  which has a rustic industrial theme, but still manages to carry warmth throughout.   Oversized colorful lights hang from large wooden beams attached to extra high ceilings and the walls are exposed brick with a light grey hue to them. Light wooden tables are placed throughout, with adequate space between the tables, which as you know is important to me.   In addition, I found all the staff to be friendly and accommodating throughout our dining experience.

After we finished our meal, my date asked me if I had thought about what I wanted to do after dinner.  The truth was I hadn't at all.  I had just wanted to see how we got through part A with the hope that all went well.  Fortunately it had, so part B wasn't out of the question.  We decided to head to a local pizzeria, sit on their patio and continue our conversation while we sipped on more wine.  Well unexpectedly,  our conversation ended up going till 1:30 am with us arranging to continue it two days later.

It had been a great evening, full of stories and lots of laughter, making my exhaustion due to an early wake-up call of 6:30,  fully worth it the next day. He had passed my criteria to earn a second date.  He was a foodie like me (check), he knew how to use his cutlery (check), he didn't talk with his mouth full (check), he dressed well (check), I was attracted to him (check), and most importantly he was sweet, genuine, and could hold a good conversation (check, check and check).

Now I would just need to find out the answer to my next big question, Do you have an empty fridge?  If so, then it's very possible that I may have found my match. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment