Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Cannibale


Cannibale
813 1 Avenue NE, Calgary, AB  T2E 0C2
(403) 452-4642
www.cannibale.ca


One of my girlfriends lives in Bridgeland and suggested I come down her way so we could go to a little neighbourhood cocktail bar called Cannibale.  I had actually never heard of it before, so I looked it up online and was intrigued to see that it is not only a classic, full-service barber shop but also a stylish gathering place for food and drink, a description from their website.

When I entered Cannibale, I felt like I had just entered a little sultry, dimly lit, hidden lounge out of Mad Men and everyone should be holding a cigarette. This cocktail bar has a real retro vibe, with hues of navy & mustard yellow along with accents of dark wood accompanied by exposed brick.  The physical bar itself is definitely the main feature, beautifully lit and housed with unique liquor bottles that glow against its wood frame. It has a beautiful thick marble countertop in a U-shape with nine bar chairs placed around it. It would be a great spot to just hang out by yourself and have a drink without feeling like you were being honed in on, as the overall feel of the place is very unpretentious. Because Cannibale is so small, the tables are extremely close to one another. If you don't enjoy the feeling of dining with uninvited guests or the possibility of having people eavesdrop on your conversation, this might not be the right place for you. 

The menu itself is based on the concept of small eats, so if you are starving and a big eater, this might not be the right place for you.  If you are moderately hungry and looking for some small nibbles while enjoying some beverages, then you've come to the right place.  The biggest portion of their food menu are appetizers. They offer soup, two salads, bar nuts, olives, a pretzel, beef Carpaccio, beef tartar, a cheese board and a foie gras parfait.  Prices range from $5 to $18.  For something a little more filling, they offer four sandwiches, the Bahn Mi, Duck Rueben, Cubano (pork), and Vegetarian, all served on warm ciabatta with slaw & house pickles. They are all priced at $14.  For something sweet, they offer three desserts, Cannibale Bar, Bourbon Pecan Pie and Pretzel Bread Pudding, all $8.

I have to admit that I was pretty hungry when I arrived, after just finishing my hour long Ashtanga yoga class, so I found it hard to choose something that matched my appetite level.  I finally decided on the warm rustic sourdough pretzel to start, which is served with house mustard and Brillat-Savarin cheese and then I  ordered the Vegetarian sandwich which came with roasted Portobello, onion jam, pesto marinated tofu and feta. When it arrived, it was quite a small sandwich, but the marriage of flavours in this sandwich was amazing. I would have preferred the option of another side other than slaw, like French fries, only because I found quite hungry still  after finishing the sandwich.

I would have to say that rather than the food being the main feature of this establishment, it's definitely their drink menu, with pages of unique cocktail blends, categorized under Pre Prohibition, Post Prohibition & Tiki, Revival and Originals.  If you're not into cocktails, they offer an array of wine, beer (draught & bottled), spirits and liqueurs. I ordered the Jungle Bird, a blend of Cruzan black strap rum, Campari along with pineapple juice and lime juice for $12. The flavours together were absolutely delicious and I would have loved to try more of their cocktails but I was driving.

After experiencing Cannibale I would definitely go back, but it would most likely be for drinks after I had been out for a meal.   After going there, I now understand their concept and it works.  There's no failure on their part, just don't go there starving like I did.  If you're looking for small bar snacks and wonderful drinks then you've come to the right place.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment